A Custom Dress

red dressWell, the very exciting news around here is that the ladies at Badgers’ Wood have commissioned us to make a beautiful 1950’s dress for one of their dolls! They very kindly gave me their permission to blog about the project, so I thought I would share photos of the work in progress with you.

Penny (who does most of the planning and ordering for the dolls of Badgers’ Wood) sent me several photos of what she had in mind; the red dress in particular, she said, was the sort of thing she wanted. So I sketched up what I thought it would look like, only in doll proportions, and she liked the results. melindasketchbackmelindasketchfront

 

 

 

 

Over the weekend, I whipped out a mock-up (which is basically a dry run of the pattern in a test fabric), to be sure that the proportions would really work.  And this afternoon I tackled the collar.

Collars are tricky things, turns out. Penny wanted this one a little further away from the neckline than I’d drawn in the sketch, and it took me a couple tries to get it right. 1950sdressblog-0021950sdressblog-009

1950sdressblog-005

On the very left, Melody is sporting the first version of the collar. It was too high in front, though, so in the second version I lowered the point where the collar crossed. The third picture is Lisette wearing the mock-up; since her shoulders are somewhat narrower than Melody’s, I thought she’d be a better indication of what it would look like on a narrower-shouldered doll. (The final dress will have sleeves, but I didn’t mock them up because I know the pattern I have will work.)

1950sdressblog-017

Needless to say, the fabric I used for the mock-up, although quite lovely in and of itself, is not the fabric for the final dress!  I went on an expedition to the fabric shop this afternoon and got the real fabric. You can see it here; it’s got two gorgeous sides, one more green, one more gold, and it’s a marvellously soft silk/rayon blend. I wish you could feel it, too! The drape will be fabulous, and I’m planning to use both sides to show off the beauty of the fabric. I also found an amazingly soft cotton and silk sateen, which I’ll use for the lining and some of the accents. Needless to say, it’s going to be a dress that feels as good as it looks!

That’s the scoop on the project so far; I’ll be sure to keep you updated as I work more on it!

Melinda

1950sdressblog-011

 

 

PS— to keep updated on the Badgers’ Wood end of the story, check out www.thedollwardrobe.blogspot.com!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s