Molly’s Coat

In between stints on the Alice dress (which is coming along nicely, by the way: we just finished the skirt last night!) we’ve been working on a replica of Molly’s brown coat from the book Molly’s Surprise.  The mockup was rather unsightly, so we’re not posting photos of that! However, this is the real coat so far:

Besides the front, back, and sleeves (all of which you can see in the photos) there’s going to be a hood. We haven’t quite got to putting it on yet, as it’s one of the last steps.

The only thing we’re not super happy with right now is the size of the pockets — they’re a little big for our taste, but that’s easy enough to fix! Once that’s done, we’ll put in the lining and do up put the little toggle clasps up the front (yes, we found doll-sized toggles! Hurrah for Dill buttons and their huge selection!)

 –Melinda

More about the Alice dress

After some thinking and conversing with the lady who ordered this dress, we decided to make some changes to our original design. She’d found some really detailed photos of the dress, so we decided to try to make the dress even more accurate! The biggest change we had to make was the shape of the armhole in the back:

We also tweaked the front a bit, and are much happier with the bodice lines now.

We’ve started in on the real fabric, so we hope to have more real pictures for you all soon!

Melody

Alice dress progress

‘Tis the season for custom work, and now that we’re back from a very long and restful vacation (thank you everyone for your kind wishes!) I thought I’d show you our progress on the Alice dress.

The lines on the bodice came out almost right, but I think they still need a little bit of tweaking. (Click on the photos for a closer view, if you’re interested.)

This last photo is the materials we’re planning to use: there’s a lovely light blue silk organza on the left, for the overlayer, and then the underlayer will be the silk charmeuse on the right. The bottom two trims are for around the neckline. The two laces on top are for cutting apart; I’ll rearrange the motifs around the bottom of the dress to resemble the embroidery. I also found some super-tiny buttons, but those didn’t make it into the photos (you’ll definitely see them on the finished dress, however!)

Now, off to sew!

Melinda, for all the MVC staff