I had a good bit of cream lace hanging about and asking if it could do something useful. Of course I wanted to give it a job, since it was so very pretty and had come all the way from France (I’d bought it at Sew Expo from the French Cotton Laces booth. So many beautiful things in that little stall!) And when I realized that I had some burgundy wool jersey to make up, I thought, why not? After all, they looked very well together.
So far, so good. But trouble was brewing — the wool jersey did not take kindly to being cut! Any cut edges curled dreadfully with even very slight handling. The little cut pieces also didn’t respond well to steam. I knew there was no way I could manhandle these all these persnickety little pieces into a successful dress without some help.
Flatlining seemed the best answer. I cut some base pieces out of a cheerful, stable fabric (it has polka dots tastefully woven in!) and promptly proceeded to pleat and stitch the wool jersey to this stable backing layer. With some gentle coaxing and a bit of patience, the wool submitted to its new partner. Success!
After that, the rest was fairly straightforward. When we’d finished all the stitching, Melody immediately put on one of the new dresses. She says it’s her favorite of the whole collection. We hope you’ll enjoy wearing this delightful, international combination as much as she does =)