After some twisting, pinning, cutting, and resewing, we’d made a dress! The underbodice was simple enough, content to twist around one arm and be done. The main dress, however, twisted over the other arm and cascaded down the back in a large, square train.
Melody remembered an article she’d read a while back about using silk organza to create a poufed, bubble-like overlayer. We had some silk chiffon (which is much softer) hanging around, and I decided to use that to create the same effect. Because dolls are much smaller than people, a softer fabric is often more appropriate than a stiffer one, so I was confident it would work.
Then, to take the drama up a notch, we decided to hand-dye the chiffon overlayer. I got creative with the dyebath and carefully gradated the color, leaving the chiffon lighter at the top and striving for a darker, more intense shade at the bottom.